Shipping personal belongings overseas does not have to be a stressful process if done right. In fact, we believe that this can be the easiest and most accessible part of your move if you employ the right team with the right skills and services.
We understand why it can be a nerve-wracking process. Whether it be your couch, family heirlooms, or paintings, it can be difficult to pop it all in a box and hope you will see it on the other side of the world.
But if you follow this easy and manageable guide, this process will be much less overwhelming. This means that you can take the time to prioritise the things that matter – saying goodbye and spending time with family and friends.
What are the different shipping options available?
There are several shipping options available. These options will depend on the amount you are moving and where you are moving to.
- Full Container Load (FCL): An entire shipping container for your belongings. This is suitable for a three bedroom house amount of personal belongings.
- Groupage: Groupage is where you share a shipping container with other people’s belongings. This is the cheapest way to ship personal belongings overseas and is a great option if you only have a couple of rooms worth of belongings you are moving.
- Less Than a Container Load (LCL): Groupage may be unavailable to the country you are moving to. LCL allows you to ship a smaller amount of items to your new home by placing them securely into a wooden container, which will then be consolidated with others into a shipping container.
- Air-freight: This option moves your belongings by plane and is the fastest option, but it is also the most expensive. It can be a good option if you are moving a small amount of items and need them fast.
What personal belongings to take with you?
The first thing you need to ask yourself is what personal belongings to take with you? You have three options for this; you can ship them to your new home, store them in long term storage, or you can sell, donate or leave them behind.
It is also good to think about your new home and its size and amenities. For example if you are moving to a small London apartment, your ten seater couch may not fit. If there are things that might be impractical for your new home but you do not want to part with entirely, you can always put them into long term storage.
Anything else should be sold, donated or thrown out to avoid unnecessary costs.
The process for shipping belongings overseas
You should look for a few key things when booking an international shipping company:
- Positive testimonials
- Helpful and reliable customer service
- Free In Home Survey
- Respect for your personal belongings
The next step is to step back and let the professionals pack your home up for you. While this can be intimidating, shipping personal belongings overseas requires careful and specific packing. It is best for the removalist team to pack things so that they won’t get damaged in transit.
Insurance is a vital component in your moving journey. Insurance protects your belongings against potential risk factors including fires, sinking ships, flooding, and much more. While the likelihood of these events happening is rare, it is best to be on the safe side.
If anything were to happen to your belongings, insurance ensures you are able to replace the items when you arrive in your new home.
Time Frame And Customs
Shipping your belongings can take several weeks depending on your destination and you should be prepared to be without your belongings for a little while.
Your belongings will go through customs and quarantine once they arrive into the country which can sometimes extend this period. Stay in contact with your international removalist company for important updates. Our team at Overseas Packers & Shippers ensure end to end service and will unpack your belongings for you.
Time frames will vary greatly depending on your final destination, contents, and amount of things. The best way to get an accurate quote is to be upfront and communicative with your international removalist company.
Shipping Your Personal Belongings: A Breeze!
Shipping personal belongings overseas comes with many unique obstacles, but an experienced and professional team will ensure ease and security.
Overseas Packers & Shippers have been in the business for over 30 years and will go above and beyond to make sure your belongings stay safe. Get in contact with our friendly and experienced team today to discuss setting up your next free in-home survey.