Skip to main content

Moving to the UK

The United Kingdom is one of the largest destinations for our clients. This consists of UK National’s moving back home after a period away or expats moving to all parts of the United Kingdom for a variety of reasons.

This can be anything from families relocating for work, students heading over to study or backpackers heading over to travel the vast continent that they can access from the United Kingdom.

We offer all types of shipping to the United Kingdom. Our shared services depart on average every 4 weeks, whilst our sole use container and LCL services depart weekly. Air freight services are generally a daily service.

Request a Quick Quote
International Removalists

Considering a Move to The UK from Australia?

If you are considering a move to the UK from Australia, then trust in the experienced overseas removalists at Overseas Packers & Shippers to make the transition to your new home a smooth and stress-free one. Moving to the UK is no small feat, but with us on your side, you will be best prepared to face this significant moment in your life. 

Before you leave Australia, we will forward you all the necessary documentation to complete beforehand. This way, we can pass on your information to our destination agents in the UK prior to your arrival so you can have the peace of mind that everything will be taken care of by the time you land. 

Our team will then work with you to identify all the belongings to wish to have shipped over to the UK, before finalising a date for us to begin the packing and transporting process. We handle each of your possessions with care and take every precaution to maximise their chances of arriving in the UK safely. 

When moving to the UK from Australia, you can rely on our team at every step of the journey. 

Request a Free Quote

Moving to UK from Australia Requirements 

Before you move to the UK from Australia, there are a series of boxes you need to tick off prior to hopping on the plane. Here are some of the key things to consider and organise in the lead up to the big moving day: 

  • Ensuring you have an up-to-date passport. 
  • Securing the appropriate visa for your work situation. 
  • Opening a bank account in the UK. 
  • Registering with the National Health Service–the UK’s primary healthcare provider. 
  • Organising accommodation. 
  • If you are moving with children, enrolling them into local schools. 
  • Speaking to a tax professional about your tax obligations of being a UK resident. 
  • If you are living in the UK for over 12 months, you will need to apply for a UK driver’s licence. If you are only staying in the country for under a year, then you can drive using your Australian licence. 

All of these factors need to be taken into account when moving over to the UK. The earlier you begin applying for important documentation like visas, the better, as this process can take some time and needs to be completed by the time you arrive. 

Over the years, Overseas Packers & Shippers have created various articles detailing the specifics of moving to the UK. Below are some of our educational articles on the topic, so you can read up on as much information as you wish.

Moving to the UK from Australia

Move to UK from Australia with Overseas Packers & Shippers 

At Overseas Packers & Shippers, we are experienced overseas removalists who have undertaken numerous successful moves from Australia to the UK.

We are fully certified international removalists who always strive to meet our own high standards in each and every move we oversee. If you choose Overseas Packers & Shippers as your international moving partner, then you can expect these quality services to be at your disposal: 

  • Comprehensive door-to-door service
  • Expertise in custom regulations
  • Online tracking system for real-time monitoring
  • Experienced staff for secure packing
  • Over 40 years of industry experience
  • Extensive global network
  • Competitive pricing
  • And more! 

The team at Overseas Packers & Shippers are dedicated to making sure your move to the UK is as seamless and efficient as possible.

Request a Quick Quote

Moving to the UK FAQs

How can I move to the UK from Australia?

Hiring an experienced international removalist is the best way to ensure stress-free move from Australia to the UK. Such experts assist in packing, shipping, and even unpacking your belongings, ensuring they meet the UK’s custom regulations. 

They offer insurance coverage for your items and provide tracking services for peace of mind. Overseas removalists can also help with storage solutions if your new home isn’t ready. You can find out more about this topic, then we welcome you to read our article Why You Need International Removalist for Your Move to the UK.

What are some tips for moving to the UK?

Here are some of our main tips for moving to the UK from Australia: 

  • Research Neighbourhoods: Choose an area that suits your lifestyle and budget.
  • Budgeting: London is expensive, so plan your finances carefully.
  • Health Insurance: Look into the National Health Service and consider supplementary private insurance.
  • Banking: Open a UK bank account for easier financial transactions.
  • Visas: Make sure to secure the right visa for your circumstances.
  • International Removalists: Consider hiring professionals for a smoother moving process.

For even more great tips, read our article Your Guide to Moving from Australia to London.

What is a checklist for moving from Australia to the UK?

Here’s a checklist for moving from Australia to London:

  • Sort Belongings: Decide what to take, sell, or donate.
  • Research Visa Options: Choose the right visa for your situation.
  • Book Flights: Secure your travel arrangements well in advance.
  • Hire an International Removalist: Choose a reputable company for moving your belongings.
  • Organise Insurance: Get travel and health insurance, and consider coverage for your shipped items.
  • Notify Authorities: Update your details with banks, post, and government offices.
  • Open a UK Bank Account: Essential for financial transactions in the UK.
  • Secure Accommodation: Find a suitable place to live.
  • Pack: Make a packing list and pack your belongings.

To find out more about this topic, read our article Checklist for Moving from Australia to London.

Why do Australians move to the UK?

There are multiple reasons why Australians would want to move to the UK. One of the primary reasons is the expansive career opportunities available in diverse sectors, particularly in London. The UK’s educational institutions also draw Australians, as they are among the best globally. The rich cultural heritage, from arts to music, offers an engaging experience. 

And finally, the UK serves as a convenient travel hub for exploring Europe, making it attractive for those interested in travel. These factors collectively make the UK a compelling destination for Australians.

Should I move my furniture to the UK?

Moving your furniture from Australia to the UK is an important decision that requires a lot of careful consideration. Assess the sentimental and financial value of your items, as shipping can be costly. If your furniture is a poor fit for your new UK home or doesn’t adapt well to the climate, it may be better to sell or donate it. 

On the other hand, if you’re moving long-term and your furniture is valuable or sentimental, shipping it can make sense. Some international removalists offer furniture-specific services, including packing and insurance, making the process easier. So, the decision should be based on individual circumstances, weighing costs and personal value.

Should I move my car to the UK?

There are pros and cons to importing your car to the UK from Australia. First, there are stringent vehicle regulations and emission standards to meet; your car must comply with them. Second, you’ll need to consider the associated costs, which can include shipping, duties, taxes, and potential modifications to the vehicle. 

On the plus side, having your own vehicle in the UK can offer convenience and the comfort of a familiar driving experience. Overall, the decision should be based on a comprehensive cost-benefit analysis and compliance with UK regulations.

Would highly recommend Overseas Packers & Pickers. I moved from Australia to England and used them to move my contents. They were very helpful from the moment I contacted them. They answered all my questions and queries and put my mind at ease. Nicholas McCluskey was my contact and he was a lovely young man who was extremely helpful. The costs were also reasonable. Customer service was A class. I cannot thank Overseas and Nicholas enough for all their help in moving.

Julie St Clair

I used Overseas Packers and Shippers for an international move. They were professional and gave me comprehensive information about all parts of the move (door to door) at the outset. This was invaluable as it allowed adequate planning and completion of necessary import documentation well in advance so that the whole process ran smoothly.
The packing process was thorough, I was kept informed along the way. I was able to track our consignment across the world and their colleagues at my destination were equally efficient. It was a relatively stress-free experience in a stressful time.

Gillian Cutler

Prompt communications with staff in both Australia and the UK. Professional service in packing and unpacking my items.

Amy Wong


Certain goods are banned or restricted from entering the UK. Therefore, it is important that all of your goods in your shipment are declared in an inventory.

Some common items which are restricted by the UK government that you may be thinking about shipping to the UK include:

Human or pet food

Overseas Packers & Shippers advise against including food in shipment because it can cause problems with UK customs authorities. If an inspection is ordered you will have to pay additional charges, so it is better to be on the safe side.

Alcohol and Tobacco

Importing these items within a shipment of household effects are subject to excess duty and tax. If you wish to ship alcohol or tobacco you will need to explicitly declare these goods within your inventory. You must ensure that your deceleration includes the brand name, alcohol content, size and type of each bottle.

Being aware of these restrictions when you are shipping to the United Kingdom can save you time and money. We want to make your move as straightforward as possible. If you need further information you can find it from the helpful resources provided by the UK Government, or the in our Useful Forms section below.


If you are importing goods into the UK from outside the EU, your shipment may be subject to tax and duty.

However, you may be able to claim relief on tax and duty if you’re moving residencies from outside the EU. When your things arrive in the UK, you will be required to complete either a ToR01 Form if you are moving to the UK permanently, or C88 Form if you’re moving temporarily. Copies of these forms are listed in our Useful Form section below.

Customs officials will then work out if you are eligible for tax relief on your goods, and how much (if any) tax and duty you owe. Tax must be paid before your goods can be delivered.

Please read the UK Government resources to learn more about how imported goods are taxed.

Shipping from Australia To The UK

Once your shipment has departed Australia we will provide you with sailing details for your shipment including the vessel name, container number and our agent’s contact details. Once your shipment has arrived in the UK port the following times are a rough guide as to when you can expect delivery of your personal effects:

Sole Use Container Services 4-6 working days
Less than Container (LCL) services 6-10 working days
Shared Container Servivces 8-15 working days
Air Freight Services 2-4 working days

These timeframes are subject to customs process and port congestion.

Useful Forms

Customs Declarations - Household Effects

Form Description
ToR01 For shipments of household effects under permanent transfer of residence after at least 12 months residence in country of departure
C88 For shipment of household effects if you are temporarily moving to the UK, or moving to a secondary home in the UK.

Customs Declarations – Motor Vehicles

Form Description
C179b For vehicle being re-imported to the UK by the same owner within 3 years of export from the UK.
C384 To declare the import of a motor vehicle from outside the European Community for private use, subject to payment of duty / tax.
C110 To declare a foreign registered vehicle being temporarily imported to the UK for up to 6 months.

Inheritance Goods

Form Description
C1421 For shipments of imported goods inherited from a deceased person’s estate whose natural place of residence was outside the EU.
International Removalists
Moving Overseas In-home Consultant
Relocate Overseas
Move Belongings Overseas
Move Furniture Overseas

We take over the complicated process of moving…

Helping our clients pack, organise insurance, liaise with shipping officials on their behalf and unpack at the end of the move.

Learn more about our process