Skip to main content



Unaccompanied goods arriving in Australia

When moving to or from Australia, you need to ensure you are using an experienced company who understands Australia’s Customs Regulations and Procedures.

Customs and Quarantine procedures are particularly important to understand if you are packing your own boxes or importing a vehicle. We have been in business for over 40 years, and have a wealth of knowledge to help you move your goods and vehicles into Australia.

Overseas Movers

Unaccompanied Personal Effects

Unaccompanied Personal Effects (UPEs) include household and personal items which are being imported into Australia but does not arrive with you. This includes items that are transported in shipping containers and air freight.

Items that are not considered UPEs include:

  • Motor vehicles and parts for motor vehicles
  • Commercial goods
  • Bequeathed goods
  • Internet purchases

Certain conditions must be met for your goods to clear Customs control without being required to lodge import declarations or pay duty, Goods and Services Tax (GST) or other taxes.

To be available for concession, you must:

  • Be the owner of the goods and owned the goods for the previous 12 months
  • Have arrived or are intending to arrive in Australia
  • Be a permanent resident of Australia, or a first time migrant taking up permanent residency.

If the item has not been owned and used for the previous 12 months, it will be assessed for duty and GST.

More information about sending your personal belongings to Australia can be found through the Australian Government’s website.

Motor Vehicles

Overseas Packers & Shippers specialise in vehicle imports. If you need to move your vehicle to Australia, you can trust us to make the process easy for you.

Before departing your country of origin, you need to ensure you obtain an Import Permit. This applies for motor vehicles, motor cycles, boat trailers, road trailers and caravans – basically anything with either a motor or will be registered on Australian roads. Believe it or not this includes motorised kids scooters. You will need to complete the application Approval to Import a Vehicle. You should allow 17 days to be issued an approval from your application. This application will cost $50.00.

All motor vehicles are subject to Customs Duty and/or GST.

If you have any other queries regarding customs, please contact one of our moving experts who will be more than happy to answer your questions and help with your move to Australia.

Overseas Movers
Moving Overseas
Relocate Overseas
Move Belongings Overseas
Move Furniture Overseas

We take over the complicated process of moving…

Helping our clients pack, organise insurance, liaise with shipping officials on their behalf and unpack at the end of the move.

Learn more about our process