Moving overseas with your children can seem like a daunting idea. Moving houses is already a challenging enough task, let alone having to factor in the rest of the members of your family. There are so many factors you have to think about and organise before you move. This list just continues to increase when you consider how much you have to organise for children. Moving overseas with your children can seem like a daunting idea. Moving houses is already a challenging enough task, let alone having to factor in the rest of the members of your family. There are so many factors you have to think about and organise before you move. This list just continues to increase when you consider how much you have to organise for children.
Fortunately, moving overseas doesn’t have to be an awful experience. As long as you plan correctly, the international move can be a positive experience for everyone involved. However, it’s important to note that you are uprooting the lifestyle your child is used to, and this make take them some time to adjust.
While the transition period may bring challenges, there are a few important things you can do prior to your move to make it easier on your children. This includes:
- Letting your children know about your plans. While it’s tempting to completely remove children, particularly young children, from this process, it’s actually best to involve them in your plans. Let them know when you are moving so they can also mentally prepare themselves for the changes that are about to happen.
- Let them make choices about what possessions of theirs that the children want to bring. This will give the children a bit more responsibility, while also ensuring you don’t discard any items that could help the children make the move easier.
- If you are moving to a country the children have never been to before, it’s best to familiarise them with the country before leaving, particularly if the country has a different culture and language.
Education will be a big factor to think about if you’re moving overseas for a long timeframe. Finding a school that will suit your children should be one of the major priorities of your move. Having discussions about schools can help children to process and accept the international move.
When deciding on a new school for your child, remember to consider:
- If the school in the district you are moving to has a waiting list. Often popular, large schools will have a waiting list, so it’s best to decide on a school as early before your move as you can.
- Consider how far away your new home will be from the school, and how the children will be making the commute to work.
- Check the school hours, as this may be different from the school your children are currently enrolled in. School hours can often conflict with work schedules, meaning parents are unable to transport children to and from work. If there is no public transport available in the region you are moving to, this is an important factor to consider.
- Think about the differences in curriculum between the two schools. You want to have minimal disruptions to your child’s schooling year. Enrolling your children in a school with a similar curriculum can help the children to adjust without disrupting their learning.
- It will be easier to move with younger than children than with older, as older children will be less flexible. You may find more difficulties with their curriculum, as well as their general attitude to moving internationally.
When moving overseas with your children, it’s important to maintain a positive relationship. It may take children a while to adapt to the new environment they are living in. You can help this process by also taking steps to fit into the community. Once children have a sense of belonging and become more familiar with the town and people, the transition will start to become easier.
Of course, one of the biggest parts of the move is deciding which of your possessions you are going to move, and how you’re going to move them. Fortunately, Overseas Packers and Shippers are here to do the hard work so you can focus on your family and children.
We offer a range of services to make your move easy, including:
- International shipping options -full container load, groupage, less than container load
- Air freight
- Wrapping and packing
- Moving special items such as pets, cars and rare and unusual objects
- Home cleaning and garden services
While we are based in Brisbane, we can help you move from any destination, whether that is Australia or an international location. When you work with the best international removalists in Brisbane, you’ll have peace of mind that your move will be seamlessly smooth. You can focus your time and energy into making the move easy for your children, while we take care of safely moving your belongings overseas.
Interested in finding out about our services for your international move? You can rely on the international removalists from Brisbane, Overseas Packers and Shippers. Contact one of our friendly moving specialists today to find out exactly how we can make your overseas move easy for you and your children.