Move Your Vehicle to New Zealand

Moving to New Zealand and want to bring your car, ute, trailer or caravan? Don’t worry – Overseas Packers & Shippers have got you covered!

As an international removalist, we understand that often the most cost-effective option is to bring your vehicle with you overseas, rather than purchasing a new one once you have arrived. Overseas Packers & Shippers are here to help get your goods, belongings and vehicles to New Zealand.

Overseas Movers

What you need to do before moving

If you’re moving your vehicle to New Zealand, there are a few things you need to do prior to moving overseas.

Prior to moving overseas shipping, ensure you have your vehicle steam cleaned. This minimises the possibility of MAF Biosecurity ordering your vehicle to be cleaned and vacuumed once it has arrived in New Zealand. Overseas Packers & Shippers can arrange for your vehicle to be steam cleaned at our facility prior to it being loaded. We ensure it is as clean as possible before departure.

Ensure your vehicle does not have any household or personal items. These will not be included in the Motor Vehicle Clearance and will require a separate clearance process.

Customs & Duty-Free Importation

You may qualify for concession entry (duty and GST free) into New Zealand if the following requirements are met:

  • On the day your possessions are imported you must have the document authorising New Zealand residence.
  • You lived outside New Zealand for the previous 21 months.
  • You owned your household goods for 12 months prior to your departure date.
  • You owned your vehicle and used it for the previous 12 months by the date the vehicle is given to us to ship.
  • The goods being shipped are not for exchange, sale or gifts, and are for personal use only.

To be eligible for concession entry, you will also be required to attend an interview with New Zealand Customs.

Vehicle clearance

For clearance of your motor vehicle, you will need the following documents:

  • Proof of registrations;
  • Original purchase receipt;
  • Proof that you own the vehicle
  • Insurance papers on vehicle, if any
  • Copy of passport.

Motor Vehicle Compliance and Registration

Once you have moved to New Zealand, you will need to get your vehicle registered before you’re allowed to drive on the roads there. To register your vehicle, you will need to provide a manufacturer’s certificate of compliance for frontal impact and emission standards.

The NZTA has appointed the following organisations as being able to confirm the suitability of vehicles for import and complete entry certification:

What to do once you arrive in New Zealand

Once your vehicle arrives in New Zealand, it will need to be given the all clear by biosecurity. There are a few things you will need to do before you can start driving your car in New Zealand.

You will need to organise a compliance inspection and vehicle registration. This will ensure your vehicle complies with New Zealand’s regulations and safety laws.

Being an international removalist, Overseas Packers & Shippers have partners located in New Zealand who will be able to help you organise this as soon as possible. Need more information on importing a vehicle? See the NZ Transport Agency website.

Get Quote Contact Us

Overseas Movers
Moving Overseas
Relocate Overseas
Move Belongings Overseas
Move Furniture Overseas

We take over the complicated process of moving…

Helping our clients pack, organise insurance, liaise with shipping officials on their behalf and unpack at the end of the move.

Learn more about our process